Sunday, September 19, 2010

Rule #1 of College: Love your parents, love your friends, love yourself.

There are things that are important in life and things that aren't. Over time, we figure out who and what are important to us and what things are worth fighting for. College has a way of really making you realize the things you have always taken for granted.

  • The first is of course your parents. Most of us go through a teenage stage that we don't like recounting. We are simply not nice to our parents during this stage of change in our young immature lives. Usually we are just recovering from this stage as we exit high school and start to figure out exactly what we want to do with the rest of our lives. As we move out and move on to new things, our minds are constantly drawn back to our memories of home and family. As we move into places of our own we start to realize how much of an impact our parents and their habits really had on us. As I moved out into my first apartment, I had many moments where I would step back and think..."Wow, my mom would have done things just like that." or "I never realized why my parents did things this or that way until right now when I am doing them for myself." I gained an insane appreciation for all the sacrifices that I now realize my parents made for me and everything they taught me. I know that I wouldn't be who I am today without them.


  • We have all heard the quote, "Choose your friends wisely because you tend to be like them." Let's be honest...the older you get the more and more you realize how extremely true this is. Friends are life. Friends have a way of helping you get through anything. Girls have a power within them. Girls can share a story, give a hug, tell a joke, wipe away a tear. Women are nurturing by nature. As I look back over my many friends I have had in my life, I realize that each of them came to me at exactly the right time. I know they were all sent to me to help me, teach me, and love me so I could get through the things I needed to at that point. Friends cannot be replaced. Many times we move on and our story book of life turns a page to where the old friends are not found but I believe each of them will always have a special place in my heart.


  • Sometimes we find ourselves at a point in our journey where the only person who can be any real help is the person we hope we know best. OURSELVES. These are the moments where a little something I like to call soul searching comes in to play. To honestly love ourselves we must get to know ourselves just as we would any other person. I read once that every day you should look at yourself in the mirror and remind yourself of once simple thing. I love you! If each and every day we reaffirm to ourselves our true love for the person we are rather than seeing all the things we wish we could change staring back at us, we as people transform. Remembering to love yourself will bring the self confidence you need to push through the hard times.

These three simple things that make up rule #1 of college can really make a world of difference. During your college years everything begins to move at the speed of light. Things are flying past you. You are trying to learn and keep up with homework. You are trying to work in order to bring home some money to continue to pay the bills. You are meeting new people and getting to know yourself in a whole new way. The only thing to do is hold on tight, take no second for granted, and enjoy the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment